The Android component of this role is not a typical Android engineering position. While we build and support several native Android apps, the meat of this role will focus on systems design and require dealing with ROMs, the Linux system, Android source code and Android private/hidden APIs.
- Work with a fleet of android devices and tablets running our custom ROMs and suite of native and hybrid (Cordova) android apps
- Our stack includes a few Cordova “wrapped” ember applications, with a backend SOA implemented in mostly Ruby and some Node.js
- While here, you will need to push the limits of our custom android tablets, discovering ways of doing things that aren’t publicly documented and no other hardware makers are doing
- Help us explore how to expand our existing infrastructure into the IOT space as we prepare to design and launch new custom hardware
- Please note that day-to-day responsibilities will include various support tickets or tasks (20% of your time)
- No German language skills required
- You know how to write readable, well-tested code and elegant OO adhering to SOLID principles
- You’ve architected and implemented OO systems, solving complex data/behavioral problems and could describe some of the tougher problems you were proud of solving in an interview
- You prefer open source over proprietary solutions and may have even contributed to OS projects and know how to evaluate the tradeoffs between both
- You feel at home in Unix-like environments and are not afraid of compilers (for custom Android ROMs)
- You are eager to automate things and comfortable hacking around with custom hardware and devices like Raspberry Pi and Odroid
- You have several years of professional experience in Java and Linux
- Again, you are comfortable diving deep into Java, Android and Linux APIs
- Familiarity with Java generics, Java annotations and Java’s reflection APIs
- You have at least one year experience in Android
- Familiarity with Android’s permission system, background services and cross app communication
- Familiarity with custom ROMs - bootloaders, recovery modes, fastboot, device unlocking
- Bonus: Using hidden APIs, experience w/ Android for Work APIs or experience developing a device administrator or a device owner app
Bonus if you have
- Experience with IOT devices and networking technology (WiDi, BT, etc.)
- Familiarity with latest Android for Work APIs
- Experience integrating with JSON APIs
- a team of international engineers to work with
- a product with global traction
- a modern office, right in central Berlin
- Collaborative, swift decision making and flat hierarchies
- a high degree of freedom in your work
- a lot of, no literally, tons of Android tablets and other devices at your disposal
Who we are:
As a young Berlin start-up we re-defined the way hotels connect with guests. In the hotel room of the future, you’ll find guest directory, telephone, remote control, newspapers and room service menu, united on a single device – the SuitePad.
Do you want to buy a theatre ticket or check your departure information? Do you want to make a reservation in a restaurant or book spa treatments? Do you want to explore the tourist activities or receive notifications about daily specials? All this - and much more - is now available on touchscreen.
Become part of our team and shape our success story!
Apply here or send us your CV (or a link to one) to email@example.com! A link to your GitHub profile or telling us what stickers you have on your laptop are bonuses.
Qualified candidates will be contacted for a 30 minutes code review assessment test. Successful code reviews lead to a first phone interview which will take around 30 minutes! Your contact person is Elisa Mucheyer (HR). We’re looking forward to getting to know you!